Monday, June 5, 2017

The Master Gardener

Sadly, my brown thumb has killed more plants than I care to admit.  But a dear friend saw it as her mission to transform the backyard of my new little bungalow into a cute little garden.  I did not realize that gardening took so much manual labor!

My friend explained to me that after a flower or plant is transplanted into a new location, it is vulnerable and needs lots of care and water.  It takes time for the roots to grow deep again and get settled.

This is the perfect illustration of my life for the past year.  Exactly one year ago I was 'transplanted' from the DR to Fort Wayne.  I was vulnerable, weak, and going through a lot of pain.  I didn't have many friends when I moved back and was reluctant to make new ones all over again.  Everything in my life was different and I had to establish my roots yet again.  Being an MK (missionary kid) I have had to do this countless times in my life, but it never gets any easier.


Last June, when I returned from the DR, I knew that I needed to spend some serious time with the Lord and just take a break from things for a while.  I didn't work for 6 months. I had a LOT of alone time to think, journal, pray, read, and just be with God in nature.  I attended ELIM, a spiritual renewal retreat for missionaries.  I also sought counseling and spent a lot of time with family.

PC: Natalie Kunkel
And now...a year later...his work in my life is proof that God is the ultimate HEALER and Master Gardener!

On more than one occasion, people have told me that I even look physically different, lighter.  That is all due to God's amazing work in my life as the Healer.  Even though I was uprooted, God didn't just forget about me but took care of me as a diligent gardener would.

Even though I didn't work for awhile, God continually found ways to surprise me by providing financially for me as well.  For instance, someone I don't even know sent me a check, allowing me to purchase a car....my hospital bill in October was miraculously $0... a random scholarship came in for school...my tax refund was more than enough to pay for car repairs...and on and on.

So what else have I been up to? I have been working part-time helping immigrants and refugees and I have loved using my Spanish again!  I will also be graduating in August with my MSW! (finally!)  I don't know what I will be doing after graduation, but that's ok!

Reflecting on the last year has led me to feel so overwhelmed by God's grace and goodness in my life!  So many changes, yet God has been so good!



"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness". 
Colossians 2:6-7


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Bethany for sharing your heart! May the Lord continue to pour out His mercy and grace upon you, His precious daughter! HUGS!!! patti

    ReplyDelete