Thursday, April 6, 2017

LOOK UP- My Jehovah Nissi

One of my favorite names of God is Jehovah Nissi- the Lord is my Banner.  A few months before my sister passed away, I had been studying the Hebrew names of God and this name had impacted me the most! (Another example of God's perfect timing as he knew I would need this truth)

In the Old Testament, the Israelites carried banners with them on their march through the desert.   They were used as a rallying point for troops before battle and were meant to instill hope and arouse devotion to a leader or cause.  When they were in the fray of the battle, they were to look up and gain renewed hope and confidence amidst the chaos.  It was a standard to look to and a reminder that no matter what the crisis, God would see them through!


In Exodus 16, the Israelites were facing hardship at the Rock of Horeb where the water sources were very low. The Israelites chose to complain, not believing that the Lord was really with them. They are doubting God's goodness and about to face war with Amalek.

Yet God provided a way out. As long as Moses held up his arms during the battle, the Israelites were winning.  I'm sure that in the midst of the fighting the Israelites could look up and find hope in seeing Moses' arms outstretched.  After they miraculously won the battle, Moses built and altar and called proclaimed the Lord as his banner.  The banner is an amazing symbol of God's promise to bring us through, providing protection over us.

One of the biggest things I've learned is that when you are suffering, the best thing you can do is to LOOK UP.  Difficult circumstances can sometimes throw us into a pit and sling mud over our eyes so that we can't see clearly.

Yet God is our banner of encouragement to give us hope and a focal point in the midst of chaos. He is our victory and the one who wins our battles!

Suffering is a very vulnerable time.  A fact that Satan will take advantage of every time.  We may be tempted to focus on the chaos of our circumstances and the battle instead of God's character!  Look up and find HOPE in the Lord's protection and promises.

My favorite song during this past year has been Bethel's Through It All.  Part of the song goes, "Through it all, my eyes are on you!".  I would listen to this song on repeat several times a day to remind myself of this truth.  You can listen to it Here.

When you are suffering, the best thing you can do is to LOOK UP!



Graphic from http://raisedtowalk.org/thanks/jehovah-nissi-daily-deliverer/


No comments:

Post a Comment